Definition and Usage Areas of Barium chloride
Barium chloride can be prepared from barium hydroxide or barium carbonate; barium carbonate occurs naturally as mineral ores. These basic salts react with hydrochloric acid to give hydrated barium chloride. On an industrial scale, it is prepared from barite (barium sulfate) in a two-step process.
BaSO 4 (s) + 4 C (s) → BaS (s) +4 CO (g)
This first step requires high temperature.
BaS + CaC 2 BaCl → 2 + CaS
The second step requires the fusion of the reagents. BaCl2 can then be filtered out of its mixture with water. from water solutions of barium chloride, the dihydrate can be crystallized as white crystals: BaCl2 · 2H2O
At room temperature, it is a white shiny monoclinic crystal, odorless, bitter and salty. Soluble in water, insoluble in acetone, ethanol and ether, slightly soluble in acid, sulfuric acid. Crystallization from barium chloride aqueous solution usually involves two crystal waters. When heated to 113°C, it loses crystal water and becomes anhydrous barium chloride, it is white powder. Identification and separation of SO42-ions can be used for the purification of brine, which is mainly used for the production of barium salts and pigments, can also be used as a hard water softener, mordant in the wool and leather industry, pesticides for controlling plant pests. Preparation of industrial BaCl2 barium sulfate barite is prepared as the material containing high components of charcoal and calcium chloride, and calcined to obtain BaCl2.
- It is used together with sodium sulphate as a white pigment and filler in the production of leather, rubber, fabric and photographic paper in industry, as well as in heat treatment baths.
- It is often used in laboratories for testing the sulfate ion.
- It is used in industry for the purification of brine solutions in caustic chlorine factories. It is also used in industry for the production of other barium salts.
- It is used for pigment paint production.
Barium chloride Usage and Synthesis
Soluble barium salt BaCl2 is one of the most important soluble barium salts, also known as the “salting barrier”, the formula is BaCl2, it has colorless monoclinic and colorless cubic two crystals, the monoclinic crystal turns into 962 ℃ cubic crystal., the reaction is as follows: BaSO4 + 4C + CaCl2 → BaCl2 + CaS + 4CO ↑.
- It is a colorless monoclinic crystal. (Α type) soluble in water, sparingly soluble in hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, alcohol.
- Uses (1) Barium chloride is mainly used for heat treatment of metals, barium salt manufacturing, electronic appliances, and used as a water softener.
- (2) Can be used as dehydrating agent and analysis reagents, heat treatment is used to process Jing, see other barium chloride dihydrate.
- (3) Calibration tools and instruments, evaluation methodology, quality assurance/quality control.