Definition and Usage Areas of Borax
Borax acid, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. Powdered borax is white, consists of soft colorless crystals and is readily soluble in water. Some of the different closely related minerals or chemical compounds in the crystal water content are called borax , although the word usually refers to decahydrate . Commercially available borax is partially dehydrated.
Borax is an ingredient in many detergents, cosmetics, and enamel glazes. It is used to make buffer solutions in biochemistry, as a flame retardant, as an anti-fungal compound, in the manufacture of fiberglass, as a flux in metallurgy, as a radioactive source, in cooking, as a tissue material for neutron capture shields, and as a precursor of other boron compounds, and inversely, boric acid It is useful as an insecticide along with
The term borax is often used for a large number of different closely related minerals or chemical compounds in crystalline water content:
anhydrous sodium tetraborate, Na 2 B 4 O 7
sodium tetraborate pentahydrate, Na 2 B 4 O 7 · 5H 2 O
setraborate decahydrate Na 2 B 4 O 7 · 10H 2 O
Borax is generally described as Na2B4O710H2O However, it is better formulated as Na2[B4O5(OH)4]8H2O, containing borax [B4O 5 ( OH) 4 ] 2- ion. In this structure, there are two four-coordinate boron atoms (two BO 4tetrahedra) and two three-coordinate boron atoms (two BO3 triangles).
Borax also converts easily into boric acid and other borates, which have many applications. Its reaction with hydrochloric acid to form boric acid is as follows:
Na 2 B 4 O 7 · 10H 2 O + 2 HCI → 4H 3 BO 3 + 2 NaCl + 5H 2 O
The “decahydrate” is stable enough to be used as the primary standard for acid-based titrimetry.
When Borax is added to a flame, it produces a yellow green color. Borax is not used for this purpose in fireworks due to the extremely yellow color of the helix. Borax acid
- Borax is used in various household laundry and cleaning products.
- For making buffers in biochemical and chemical laboratories
- It is the borax component of the glass fiber used in thermal insulation.
- They have specific roles in high strength low weight structural materials.
- A mixture of borax and ammonium chloride is used as flux when welding iron and steel.
- Glass, ceramic and ceramic component
- It is used as an additive of ceramic cartridges and glazes to improve the harmony on aging, green product and biscuit.
- fire retardant
- Anti-fungal compound for cellulose insulation
- 10% solution for wool for moth isolation 
- Powdered to prevent stubborn pests (e.g. German cockroaches) in cabinets, pipe and cable entries, wall lining cavities, and inaccessible places where ordinary pesticides are undesirable.
- Anti-fungal footbed
- Stimulant sodium perborate monohydrate is used in detergents, as well as boric acid and other borates
- Casein, starch and dextrin-based adhesives of said adhesive ingredient
- Precursor for boric acid, an adhesive, polyvinyl acetate, polyvinyl alcohol-based adhesives
- Fluoride detoxification
- Treatment of thrush in horses’ hooves
- Making indelible ink for dip pens by melting Gripalk into heated borax
- Curing agent for snake skins
- Curing material for salmon roe, for sport fishing for salmon
- Pool buffering agent to control pH
- Neutron absorber used in nuclear reactors and fuel pools to control reactivity and stop a nuclear chain reaction
- As a micronutrient fertilizer to correct boron deficient soils.  
- Taxidermy in preservative
- To clear the cavity of the brain of a skull
- To fires that add color to green 
- It has traditionally been used to coat dry cured meats such as hams to prevent them from being blown away by flies during further storage.
- Found in some commercial vitamin supplements
- To stop the sealing of the radiator and engine block of the car 
- Forged welding used in blacksmiths
- Used as a woodworm treatment (diluted in water)
- It is used in the treatment or prevention of wood rot in conventional wooden boats.
There are no reviews yet.