Definition and Usage Areas of Calcium propanoate
It is listed as E number 282 in the Codex Alimentarius as a food additive. Calcium propanoate is used as a preservative that includes but is not limited to a wide variety of products, including bread, other baked goods, processed meat, whey, and other dairy products.  In agriculture, it is also used as a milk fat and feed additive for cows, among other things . Propanoates prevent microbes from producing the energy they need, as benzoates do. However, unlike benzoates, propanoates do not need an acidic environment.
Calcium propionate; It is an organic salt formed as a result of the reaction of Calcium Hydroxide with propionic acid. Its chemical formula is Ca(OOCCH2CH3)2. Calcium propionate can be produced in both crystal and powder form. Calcium propionate is readily soluble in water and slightly soluble in alcohol.
Propionic acid occurs naturally in some foods and works as a preservative in these foods. For example, some cheese varieties contain high amounts of natural propionic acid.
Studies show that Calcium propionate is one of the most reliable food additives used in the food industry. The American Food and Pharmaceutical Organization has not specified a limit for the use of Calcium Propionate in food.
Calcium propionate is widely used as a mold inhibitor and preservative in bakery products, and as a preservative in chocolate products, processed cheeses and fruits. Also in the tobacco industry, Calcium propionate is used in some products.
Calcium propionate is a food additive that is safe to be consumed by all religious groups and has no side effects.
- Calcium propionate substance (E 282) is produced as both crystal and powder.
- Calcium propionate substance dissolves easily in water and provides very little solubility in alcohol.
- Calcium propionate, E code (E282), is known as an emerging food additive.
- Calcium propionate, proionic acid, occurs naturally in some foods and acts as a preservative in these foods.
- For example, some cheese varieties contain a high proportion of natural propionic acid calcium propionate.
- Calcium propionate substance (E282) is widely used as a mold inhibitor and preservative in bakery products.
- In addition, calcium propionate (E282) is used as a preservative in chocolate products, processed cheeses and fruits.
- In the tobacco industry, calcium propionate is used in some products.
There are no reviews yet.