Definition and Usage Areas of Magnesium chloride
Magnesium chloride is an inorganic and disordered compound with the chemical formula MgCl2. Magnesium chloride, which is soluble in alcohol and water and partially hydrolyzed when heated, has many uses. It is used as a de-icing agent for icing on roads by taking advantage of the freezing point of magnesium chloride in liquid form. Due to this feature, magnesium chloride is also called de-icer. It is known that the purest of the MgCl2 compound is obtained from seafood in Japan.
Sea water is the source of magnesium according to the Dow method. Magnesium oxide is obtained from the mixture of lime with sea water. After the reaction of this formed magnesium hydroxide with the chloride acid, MgCl2 is formed. The crystal water in it is heated and removed from the environment. The water that cannot be removed is dissolved in the electrolysis vessel. Magnesium is formed by evaporation during melting.
In other words, magnesium is formed by electrolysis of pure MgCl2. The main usage area of magnesium chloride is used in a wide range of fields such as medicine, medicine, cement, chemistry and metal.
- It is used in drilling and grinding wheels in the cement industry.
- In chemical production and dust binding
- Magnesium metal production
- It is used as an additive in textiles and paper.
- In fireproofing agents
- It is used in disinfectants, ceramics and fire extinguishers.
- The liquid form of MgCl2 is sprayed on the roads before precipitation or on the ground before frost, preventing the snow from sticking to the road. When used as an anti-icing agent or de-icer, the corrosivity of MgCl2 can be reduced by adding other chemicals to the solution.
- It is used as a binding agent in highways, mining, oil and gas industry.
- It is used in animal feeds and fertilizers.
- It is used in wastewater enterprises.
- It is used as a disinfectant in pools.
- It is used as a coating in fire extinguisher formulas.
- It is used as a powder binder in the chemical industry.
- Magnesium chloride and water are mixed and applied to the skin.
- It is effective in indigestion and constipation in medicine.