Definition and Usage Areas of Malic acid
Malic acid was first isolated from apples in 1785 by scientist Carl Wilhelm Scheele. In 1787, chemist Antoine Lavoisier named this acid “malic acid” because it means apple in Latin. It should not be mixed with maleic acid.
Malic acid is a kind of fruit acid. It is found naturally in many fruits and vegetables. It is an organic compound. Malic acid has hundreds of benefits. C4H6O5 is found especially in sour fruits and mostly apples. Apart from apples, C4H6O5 is also found in vegetables and fruits such as apricots, bananas, cherries, grapes, orange peel, broccoli, pears, plums, carrots, potatoes, green beans.
Malic acid is synthesized commercially by hydrating C4H6O5 and fumatic acids in the presence of a catalyst. This important acid has a place in the metabolism of every living thing.
C4H6O5 is an important step in the Krebs cycle, the energy cycle found in the mitochondria of living cells. Thanks to its properties, it is also very beneficial for health.
- Malic acid is identified by the code E296. 70% of the world’s C4H6O5 production is used as an additive in yogurt and as a preservative in beverages.
- The most common usage area of C4H6O5 is fruit flavored foods. The main ones are carbonated and fruit delicious drinks and syrups.
- Malic acid is also used in apple, grape and other fruit juices to stabilize the color of the juice. Another reason for the use of C4H6O5 in beverages is that it dissolves easily, leaves a long-lasting and lasting taste on the palate, and is compatible with different flavors. The inclusion of C4H6O5 in the juice concentrate also enhances the natural flavor of the beverage. In addition, it creates a synergistic effect with ascorbic acid. Thus, it prevents oxidation by providing a stable complex with copper and iron.
- C4H6O5 is also used in leavening products. The main reason is that it dissolves easily. It is preferred in these products because of its shelf life increase and permanent taste qualities.
- C4H6O5 is also added to the content of soft drinks.
- MC4H6O5 is also used in the production of hard candy, chewing gum, jam, jelly and gelatin desserts. The easy interaction of C4H6O5 with other components in the sugar’s structure, and its brightening and clarity enhancing effect are the primary reasons for preference.
- Malic acid is used in canned products as it provides pH control. Another reason for using C4H6O5 in canned products is that it delays browning. It is used as an acidifier in canned tomatoes.
- Malic acid is also used in the production of sourdough.
- C4H6O5 increases the sweetening effect of diet products. At the same time, it prevents the sweet taste from remaining on the palate.
- C4H6O5 is also preferred because it reduces the formation of deposits on beer and dairy products.
- C4H6O5 can be applied safely and smoothly for cleaning metal surfaces. For this reason, C4H6O5 is also used in the content of cleaning products.
- Malic acid is also used extensively in the pharmaceutical, paint and metal industries.
There are no reviews yet.