Usage and Definition of Potassium sorbate
Potassium sorbate dissolves in water. boiling point is 270 degrees. Organic acids are generally not used in food products. However, potassium sorbate is known as the only organic acid allowed to be used in food. Due to some properties it has, it is more harmless than some preservatives in some places. It is among the food additives with the name E 202. In the late 1930s, it was proven that sorbic acid and its salts inhibited the growth of microorganisms. Therefore, the use of potassium sorbate in the food industry has increased. It is found in the fruit of a plant called rowan tree in nature. It has no distinct taste or odor. Although it is slightly soluble in alcohol, its solubility in water is high. It is used in many food products. It is effective against many bacteria such as mold yeast. Packing in food products, It is used by sprinkling or spraying. It is used in many foods and beverages. Apart from food and beverage, it is used in tobacco, pharmacy, personal care products. It is used in many areas such as tomato paste, bread, margarine, jam, fish, confectionery, cheese, wine, yogurt, fruit products and bakery products.
The protective effect of potassium sorbate is 10 times more effective than sodium benzoate. It extends the storage life of the food and helps to keep the taste of the food as on the first day. Since some microorganisms can use sobritic acid in their metabolism, the protective effect disappears in a short time in products with a high microorganism load. In addition to food, it is used as an intermediate product in the production of plastics to increase coating, brightness.
- They are used as preservatives of a wide range of food products, as well as in food products and their packaging materials. Because they have broad efficacy in inhibiting molds, yeasts and most bacteria.
- They are also used as fungistatic agents in foods. Low pH values require low amounts of sorbic acid.
- It is also used in cosmetics, medicine, tobacco and flavoring products.
- It is used to prevent secondary fermentation of increased sugar in wine.
- It is used to restore gloss in coatings and as an intermediate in the manufacture of plasticizers and lubricants. It is applied by pulverizing on the outer surface after sausage fillings, applied as a 15% solution.
- It is also used in the rubber industry to improve grinding characteristics.
There are no reviews yet.