Definition and Usage Areas of Silver nitrate
Silver nitrate can be prepared by reacting silver, such as silver bullion or silver foil, with nitric acid, resulting in silver nitrate, water, and oxides of nitrogen. The reaction byproducts depend on the nitric acid concentration used.
3 Ag + 4 HNO 3 (cold and dilute) → 3 AgNO 3 + 2 H 2 O + NONE
Ag + 2 HNO 3 (hot and condensed) → AgNO 3 + H 2 O + NO 2
This is done under a fume hood due to the toxic nitrous oxide(s) evolved during the reaction.
A typical reaction with silver nitrate is suspending a copper rod in a solution of silver nitrate and leaving it for several hours. Silver nitrate reacts with copper to form hairy silver metal crystals and a blue solution of copper nitrate:
2 iodine 3 + Cu → Cu (NO 3) 2 + 2 Ag
Silver nitrate decomposes when heated:
2 iyodinin 3 2 Ag (k) + → (I) O 2 (g) + 2 NO 2 (g)
Most metal nitrates thermally decompose to their respective oxides, but silver oxide decomposes at a lower temperatures than silver nitrate, so decomposition of silver nitrate yields elemental silver instead.
Silver nitrate is the most important silver salt. It forms colorless heavy crystals. It is used for cautery in medicine and has antibacterial properties. It is very good in the treatment of warts. It is also preferred for darkening leather and organic materials. It is called Hellstone because it darkens the skin. Since it is easily soluble in water and alcohol, it is used as a primitive substance to obtain many silver compounds. The places where it is used most are photography, inks, hair dye making and silver plating. Its components are silver and nitric acid. Its synthesis is done according to the formula in the example:
Ag + 2 HNO3 → AgNO3 + NO2 + H2O
- Silver salt can be used as photographic materials, preservatives and catalyst raw materials, and also can be used for silver painting, mirror production, etc.
- . can be used for
- It can be used for analysis reagents.
- Film film, X-ray photographic film and other photographic emulsions can be used for the production of photosensitive materials.
- It can be used for conductive adhesives, gas cleaning agents and silvering of electronic components in the field of electronics industry.
- The silver material of mirror production and thermal glass lining can also be used for voltage sharing coat and electronic work gloves.
- It can also be used in other craftsman’s silver.
- The battery industry used it in the manufacture of silver-zinc batteries. It can be used as sterilization, corrosive reagent in pharmaceutical field.
- The daily chemical industry used it in the manufacture of dyed hair shampoo. It can also be applied to other silver catalyst production.
- It can be used for cyanide-free silver plating, such as thiosulfate silvering, hydrochloric acid silvering, imino ammonium di-sulfonate silvering and sulfosalicylic acid silvering.
- It is also the source of the silver ion. The content of AgNO3 has a certain effect on the conductivity, dispersion property and sedimentation rate of the silver plating solution.