Usage areas of Sodium Formate
Sodium Formate is a chemical that is used extensively in the textile and leather industry, and is also used in construction chemicals and food production (E237). It is a white powder, with water absorption feature and a slight formic acid odor. It is soluble in water and glycerol, sparingly soluble in ethanol and insoluble in ether.
Sodium formate and calcium formate Sodium formate and calcium formate are also known as saturated acid, sodium formate, which are common metal salts of sodium formate. There are two types of molecular forms of sodium formate compounds in nature.
As a white crystalline powder, anhydrous sodium formate is toxic, slightly hygroscopic. Relative density is 1.92 (20℃), mp 253℃. It is soluble in water, slightly soluble in ethanol, and insoluble in ether. Sodium formate dihydrate is colorless crystals. It is toxic with a slight odor of formic acid. It is soluble in water and glycerene, slightly soluble in ethanol. Under strong heat, it went into hydrogen and sodium oxalate and finally turned into sodium carbonate. It is produced by the interaction of formic acid and sodium hydroxide.
It can be used as chemical analysis reagent, used for the determination of sodium formate, arsenic and phosphorus, also as disinfectant, mordant, etc. Used as. Sodium formate in powder form is used in industrial plants of formic acid to improve the performance of limestone FGD systems; The advantage is application security and health. Preparation of sodium formate: Sodium bicarbonate reacts with formic acid in the laboratory, the solution remains basic, removing Fe3+, filtering and adding formic acid to the filtrate, and the solution is acidic, then evaporated, crystallized to obtain crude sodium.
Calcium is a free-circulating white crystalline powder with durable, fungicidal, antibacterial effects, and is an organic acid feed additive. Its content is 99%, formic acid 69%, calcium 31%, with low water content. This product has a high melting point, not easy to be destroyed in the particle mass. Feed is added 0.9% to 1.5%. This product breaks down into formic acid in the stomach, lowers the pH of the stomach, maintains the digestive acidity, inhibits the growth of bacteria, and prevents diarrhea due to bacterial infection. Trace acid activates the role of pepsinogen in increasing the absorption of active substances in feed and produces chelation with minerals in feed to increase the digestion and absorption of minerals, and can also be used as a supplement of calcium. To prevent piglets’ diarrhea and increase survival,
The above information is collected and supplemented by Xiaonan of Chemical book.
- HCOONa acid is mainly for the production of formic acid, oxalic acid and fuse powder.
- It is used as a reagent for the determination of phosphorus and arsenic, disinfectant and mordant.
- It is used as preservatives with a diuretic effect. In the EEC countries mutatis mutandis, but the use of the British is not allowed.
- HCOONa is used as an intermediate in the production of formic acid and oxalic acid, but also for the production of dimethyl formamide, which is used in the pharmaceutical, printing and dyeing industries. It is also a heavy metal precipitator.
- Used as alkyd paints, plasticizers, high explosives, acid resistant materials, aviation oils, adhesive additives.
- Used to precipitate noble metal, can form trivalent metal complex ions in solution. With its buffering effect, it can be used to correct the pH of strong mineral acids to a higher one.