Usage areas of Sodium metabisulfite
Sodium metabisulfite is an inorganic salt substance. It is also known as disodium or sodium pyrosulfite. The general appearance of sodium metabisulfite, which is solid under normal conditions, is a yellowish powdery color or white. Sodium metabisulfite, which can melt at 150 degrees Celsius, has been used for food preservation for many years. Sodium metabisulfite does not cause any harm to the human body when consumed with food. For this reason, its use as an additive in foods has been released in many countries, especially in the USA.
Sodium metabisulfite should be stored in dry and cool places. Contact with air should be avoided. It should also be kept away from acid or toxic substances. When sodium metabisulfite is mixed with water, a heavy odor appears. This odor can make it difficult for people with respiratory problems or asthma to breathe. It may also cause gastric irritation in those with allergic conditions. Since Na2S2O5 is used not only in the food sector, but also in cleaning and bleaching products such as wool and jute; Those who are allergic to this substance should check before using such products.
- In textile industry, as anti-chlorine in bleaching of fiber and as a fixative in dyeing.
- As an antiseptic in the production of cellulose esters
- As the main ingredient in the production of various organic substances such as aromatic alcohols, aldehydes and Na2S2O5.
- As an antiseptic in the fermentation process
- As a depilator in the leather industry
- As a disinfectant in the cosmetics and canning industries
- In industrial branches such as paper, sugar, rubber, glue, galvanoplasty and in different application areas
- Na2S2O5 can also be used as an anti melonosis in seafood, for acidifying the water in the film baths of photographs.
- If Na2S2O5 comes into direct contact with the eye or is swallowed unintentionally, life-threatening consequences can occur. It produces sulfur dioxide when it comes into contact with air.
- It is used to lighten the color of sugar thanks to its color lightening feature. In addition, it is used as a color remover in the paint production sector.